In 1766, William Griffiths inherited the estate from his father, Charles. William was the last Griffiths to live at Llanyrafon Manor although the family continued to own it until 1886. William moved to Gloucester where he practised as a solicitor, returning to Llanyrafon occasionally for business, to collect rents and to entertain friends. At this time, a two-storey, self contained cottage was added to the Manor, built around the early 19th century. This section of the building is now the Bat Cottage and while the bats inhabit it through most of the year now, during the Victorian period it served as accommodation for Farm labourers. Further small sections were then added including a lean-to and a cow-shed.
In 1886 Florence Griffiths, the last of the Griffiths line, passed away in Gloucestershire. In 1892, the estate, its buildings and the Mill, along with 235 acres of land were sold to Richard Laybourne for £3,000. He then granted the estate to his daughter Edith and her husband Alfred Massey Pilliner on their wedding day. They lived at the Manor briefly before moving into Llanyrafon House just 500 yards away. At this time, Mr Pilliner split the entire Manor into sections for labourer accommodation.
Many animals were kept at the Farm including chickens, geese, ducks, pigs, cattle, sheep and horses. Working horses were always stabled at the Farm while Mr Pilliner bred pedigree Arab horses at Llanyrafon House. The main crop grown was hay while apple orchards contributed to cider production.
It was always expected that cider would be provided for the farm workers during the haymaking season although Mr Pilliner would not allow his daughters to drink it as he knew too much about it and he'd seen it being made. The cider was kept in open vats and when they were drained, bones remained from unfortunate mice and rats that had fallen in.